Tuesday 26 April 2011

Manhattan Flower and other Embossing Folders

I'm not sure you know how much I love my Big Shot from Stampin' Up! but let me tell you it has revolutionized my card making.

I love texture and pattern and the Big Shot makes all of that so easy.

Today I have a couple of cards I made from the one sketch at a recent Stamp A Stack (Cards for mothers) I held in my stamping studio. 

I concentrated on showcasing just how versatile card making can be when using the Big Shot, and of course we added in a couple of other techniques at the same time. Sometimes I make the cards quite time-consuming for my regulars, other times they are quick and simple - mostly it depends on the techniques used.


The additional techniques used for these cards are water-colouring with an Aqua Painter and Classic Inks, and Sponging with a Stampin' Sponge and classic ink.  This is one of the most relaxing techniques for me as I find it is just like the colouring-in we did as children. The embossed outlines of the Manhattan Flower Embossing Folder create subtle outlines and any little slips can be covered over with a bit of sponging (see detail photo)


 I added some of my favourite trimmings from Stampin' Up! - crochet trim and linen thread, and completed the card with some Basic Pearls highlights. 



 Here is another version. Same sketch layout, same colours (Whisper White and Old Olive) but different ribbon and embellishments. This time I used 1.6 cm Very Vanilla Grosgrain Ribbon and one of the bronze coloured brads from the Antique Brads range. I couldn't go past adding some Linen Thread. 
The thread actually has an important function as it holds the "faux bow" in place before adding the brad.


 The Scallop Trim Border is perfect for creating interest at the base of the card.


And the lovely Petals A Plenty embossing folder creates the perfect backdrop for the larger Manhattan Flowers. Some nice little Antique Brass brads embellish the top corner.

I've actually created a whole series of these cards - each one slightly different, and can see myself continuing to make similar ones in a wide variety of colours.

I hope you've enjoyed seeing these and would encourage you all to give water-colouring a try. It is very relaxing and the only thing you need to watch out for is not to let your card stock get too wet. It will warp, and that's not a pretty sight!

TIP: When adding colour to Whisper White card stock, ensure your Aqua painter is not too wet. 
Squint at the flower and envisage what areas would be darker.
Start painting next to the raised outline and apply a small amount of colour.

YOU CAN ALWAYS ADD MORE but IT IS SO HARD TO REMOVE COLOUR. 

Ensure you leave "white spaces" - this trick gives your image life  and dimension.

So give it a try,

and until next time

Stay Crafty!


If you would like to attend any of my regular classes you can contact me via my Demonstrator Business Website 

I have regular Stamp A Stack classes the 3rd Monday of each month.
I have regular Christmas Card Classes the 1st Wednesday of every month



5 comments:

  1. This has to be the most beautiful card I've ever seen! I love the way you colored in the flowers and all the textures and embellishments. Thanks for sharing a great card, I HAVE to make it for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BEAUTIFUL card! I was playing with the Manhattan Flowers embossing folder today, but I didn't get anything near this lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This card is just beautiful ....luv it !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This card is just "Beautiful" love the colour xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this card! And I actually have both embossing folders! Looking forward to trying this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you found something to inspire your creativity. Let me know you have visited by leaving a comment. I would love to hear what you think about my craft projects.
Live in Australia? You can purchase Stampin' Up! products via my On-Line Store?
Best wishes, Ann.